Called the “City of Lights”, Timişoara is one of the largest urban centres in western Romania. Filled with history and more open to the western civilization, the city was the starting point of the anti-communist revolution in Romania.
Discover the Habsburg-influenced architecture, take a romantic walk on the bridges over the river Bega and taste the Serbian – flavoured cuisine. Use all your senses to get to know Timişoara with its opulent palaces and discreet neighbourhoods.
Top 5 Attractions
- Maria Theresia Bastion. The edifice was built between 1730 and 1735 and is the largest piece of wall preserved from the old Timişoara Fortress. The bastion is currently used as a passage and hosts commercial spaces, cafes, restaurants, a disco and two permanent exhibitions of the Museum of the Banat (Muzeul Banatului).
- The Metropolitan Cathedralis a symbol of Timişoara, being one of the most beautiful cathedrals in Romania. Besides the imposing architecture, here you can also admire the 3,000 rare religious books, more than 800 icons and paintings, 10 precious-metal artefacts and even a temple.
- Huniade Castle. This historical monument is the oldest building in Timişoara, its construction ending in 1447. With an imposing outline, the castle belongs to the Neo-Gothic style. Here you can visit the history and natural sciences sections of the Museum of the Banat.
- Two historical squares: Victory Square (Piaţa Victoriei) and Union Square (Piaţa Unirii). These two squares concentrate Timişoara’s architectural wealth. Visit Victory Square to admire the facades of Lloyd Palace, Löffler Palace or Weiss Palace. Do not miss Union Square with its beautiful objectives: Brück House, the Baroque Palace, the Dome, the Serbian Orthodox Church or the House with Lions.
- Fabric Synagogueis one of the most original monuments of Timisoara. The Fabric Synagogue was built between 1885 and 1889 in Neo-Moorish style in the neighbourhood of the same name. Today the building belongs to the National Theatre of Timişoara, which transformed it into a performance hall.
Things to do
For your entertainment, attend some popular events held in Timişoara, such as: Plai Festival, Student-Fest and the Beer Festival.
Enjoy an evening of opera, operetta and ballet performances at the Romanian National Opera in Timişoara.
If you are passionate about hunting, the hunting areas in the surroundings of Timişoara are a destination not to be missed. In these quiet areas, chic rural pensions are waiting for you.
In Timişoara you will find a very special attraction: aeromodelling. Dozens of small planes take off every week from the specially designed track, situated outside the city.